Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Turkeys with Dressing

Thanksgiving is my most favorite holiday!  You get to do my favorite hobby (eating) and no religious or gift worries.... just family and fun!  The first graders and I discussed Thanksgiving and what our favorite foods are.  A lot of the word favorite here!  I told them about dressing as another name for stuffing.  Some people consider dressing as stuffing not cooked in the turkey.  Depends what part of the country you are in, I guess.  Anyway, can art be funny?  I think so.  So we made "Turkeys with Dressing", and they are quite the fancy birds....We used fabric, wallpaper samples, sparklies, ribbons, old jewelry, just about anything to really deck out our turkeys...



I kept a picture of a turkey on the smart board.. and we talked about drawing circles and connecting them with a neck to make the body of the bird.  They cut those out and added beaks, feet and a gobbler.  Then the girls cut out all kinds of stuff to dress the turkey.  When they finished, they had to write a story about the turkey and include the name of the bird.  The turkey's name is displayed with the turkey.  Too cute!


 
I am thinking the wider ribbon is the hair?  They tend to be heavy with all the stuff the girls add.

1 comment: