Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Clay Animals in Kindergarten

For several years, I have used the X method to help students create clay animals.  They would roll a thick coil, pinch out the neck, and I would create an X on the body from which the 4 feet would be pinched.  The animals could stand up on the 4 legs or sit on its bottom.  Here is one example:

 
 
The animals end up pretty heavy.
 
 
 
As I was browsing through some old Texas Art Ed Conference papers the other day. I found a lesson on making clay animals using long slabs and paper towel or toilet paper rolls. So, thought I would try this method with one class.....
 
 
 


 
These animals seem to have more energy than the "old" way, and the students had more time to add details.  They also learned "scratch and wet" to attach heads, necks, etc.  I think I like this way more... any opinions?


No comments:

Post a Comment